Saturday, April 28, 2007

Blog Break is Over





The unofficial break from blogging is officially over! Honestly, it's been so long, I don't even know what to say. First of all, let me explain the unofficial break - I know you know that Clay is intense and I got seriously tired of writing the same thing over and over again --- we were stuck in a rut with him for months. I really think that we've turned a corner, although there are still fits, the past week has reminded me of the sweet little boy that went M.I.A about 6 months ago. Also, I've been working like crazy cleaning out drawers and closets because we've just got about a month left in Hawaii. I know that I will miss it when we are gone, but I am looking forward to moving back to the mainland. This is a place that I love & God taught me many lessons on this island, so for that I am grateful - but, I'm ready to have central ac, insulated walls, Targets, good Mexican food & most importantly I'm ready to be closer to family & friends. The thing I will miss the most here, despite the awesome scenery, is Trinity and the great families that make up the Church.

So - I guess I'll fill you in with everyone ---

Clif - is on leave. He's mowing the yard with Clay right now. He has about three weeks off. Doc & Mam are headed this way in about a week, so we are looking forward to their visit. I know they are excited to see Clif for the first time since getting home from Iraq. He's adjusted to life back at home & I am pleased for many reasons...but especially right now because the water heater is leaking & I'm not the one that has to take care of it!

Kat - I am filling my days with cleaning things out, like I said. How does so much junk get stuffed into closets and drawers? And WHY do I have so many clothes? Probably because I have not really grown since junior high. Finally I am able to get rid of some clothes I've had way to long because, I'm probably not going to be exactly the same size that I was before Clay. Oh well...I'm not too sad about that. Once you have gained 65 pounds in pregnancy...any thing after that seems skinny. No joke. I'm also feeling encouraged spiritually these days. A few weeks ago we had a women's conference at church that was great & now are reading a great book in our Bible Study. In addition to that, I am feeling an urge to study the Puritans and the history of the Reformation. Sounds great, huh? Don't worry...I won't be wearing any bonnets or long black clothing any time soon...but, it is amazing - I'll fill you in on my finds once I get into it even more!

Clay - most important right? He is really being a sweet boy again. Maybe the problem was the THREE teeth that are trying to poke their way through...but I just think that they were the straw that broke the camels back. He was/is really defiant & independant. Typical of a child his age, I know...but he's also REALLY vocal! Made for some interesting moments. These days, he is doing everything he can to be like his dad...wearing Clif's shoes, mowing together, wearing baseball hats, playing golf or whatever other sport Clif is playing, wearing sunglasses, you name he's doing it. Yesterday Clay pulled down Clif's ipod and stuck the thingy in his ear...Clif turned on the music and Clay snapped his little fingers...it made us laugh. He's also got a lot of new words, although you might not know what he's saying! He loves transportation - buses, planes, trucks, helicoptors and most importantly fire trucks. This week we went to the Waikiki Aquarium...not too impressive compared to other aquariums (I visit aquariums everywhere, no joke - Baltimore and Okinawa, Japan to name a few) but, Clay LOVED all of the "giesh" or fish as we call them. And last of all, in Clay news - we are headed back to the doctor in a few weeks because it seems that Clay is not really gaining weight. NO COMMENTS ON HOW SMALL HE IS PLEASE OR I WILL HAVE TO HIT YOU. We were at the aquarium and this mom asked, "How old is he?" I always hate this question because I know the next comment out of their mouth...I said "18 months". She said, "OH, wow...he's really small huh?" I wanted to say, "Yeah, he hasn't gained weight really in about 6 months...there could be something wrong with him...don't you feel bad for making your stupid comment about his size?" But, I just said, "Yes...he is small? Wow, you're daughter's a fatty, huh?" Just joking, I didn't make a comment about her chubby daughter. That would have been funny though. So the lesson learned here, is just make a nice comment about other people's children, even if there is something obviously wrong with them (although, I don't think Clay's is that big of a deal) keep the truth to yourself. We'll keep you updated on the saga of Clay's weight - it's probably not even a big deal, but I'm glad that his doctor is concerned, so that we can get an answer just in case.
So, that's what's happening here. I think I'm back to blogging. We'll see. I hope so...

14 comments:

KatieKate said...

Oh, Friend. Let us band together and stand strong against the not-so-innocent who smile with their tight lips and not-so-sweetly ask, "How old?" I hear you. I have a small child. She will always be small. I am throwing out all our scales and basing health on the number of smiles & tantrums I get per day. Let me know when you need a little company!

Unknown said...

If I HAD A DOLLAR EVERY TIME I HEARD THAT WITH BOTH MY KIDS I WOULD BE SO RICH. PAXTON'S COUSIN WHO IS 9 MONTHS YOUNGER WEIGHS LIKE 8 LBS. MORE THAN HIM. KAT,WE ARE NOT BIG PEOPLE. I KNOW ONE OF THE REASONS IS THAT PAXTON, I AM SURE LIKE CLAY, CANNOT SIT STILL FOR 5 MIN. TO EVEN ENJOY FOOD. EVERYTHING HE EATS IS FAST FINGER FOOD..HARD TO GAIN WEIGHT THAT WAY. IT WILL ALL BE FINE...I LOVE D.C., YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST.

Momathon said...

Kat, my nephew was born with strabismus (crossed eyes). The doctors wanted to wait for him to be 6 months old before having surgery to correct it. People kept asking, "What's wrong with his eyes?" (as if it wasn't obvious). My sister got so tired of it, that she would cross her eyes, look right at them, and reply, "What do you mean?" She found it very satisfying ;-)

Planning Committee said...

Yeah! The blog is back...Kat is back...Clif is back...and sweet Clay is back (I knew he was really there all the time). Love the pictures...he's such a guy. I think we have one of you looking into a fish tank at Disney World like that one of Clay. Should we share with the world that you went to kindergarten weighing a whopping 30-35 lbs? I agree with Whitney, Clay is just too busy to eat. Could there be a more wonderful person to emulate than Clif?

Little House in Grand Prairie said...

Well, you know what I think about all those stupid questions....so I won't go there.
What I will say is that my nephew COULD NOT BE ANY CUTER. I mean, check him out in his polo and navy shorts, people. It doesn't matter what the scale says, that boy is perfect. We miss you and look forward to our summer visit!

Aunt Sarah said...

Okay, no worries here. I mean I was still wearing 5T in the fifth grade no lie, I could only wear clothes, specifically bluejeans if elastic was present. I think I was pushing 50 pounds in the 4th grade, and I mean I turned out alright, right? Clay will be great, and trust me being short and small does have its advantages...Love you guys...

Ashley said...

People need to learn to keep comments to themselves! It reminds me when people say to me "Your not married"! I want to scream, but politely say No! Clay is perfect and super cute in these pictures! Oh friend I am ready for you to be on the mainland! Love ya, Ashley

ginny said...

So glad you're back!

And, your water heater comment made me laugh. When we have "issues" like that now and I call Bryan, he always says something like "I know you can take care of it. What would you do if I was deployed?" To that, I answer, "I got married so I didn't have to take care of it!" :)

My girls both took forever to gain weight, but are both in the "average" range now. It's good your doctor is being cautious. I'll remember this situation (and your patience for not-so-considerate questions) in my prayers.

When will y'all be on our side of the world?

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back! Don't fret over the weight Mom, he looks great! What a cutie! I hope Clif is much better with fixing things than Bruce. They have been instructed at Ace Hardware to never sale him plumbing supplies after water came down my dining room wall. love janie

Michelle said...

Love that you thought "Wow you daughter is a fatty" Nicely done keeping it in! Not sure i would have been as good! Looking forward to y'alls arrival!

Mam said...

Well, I think I have finally broken through on the blogs--I had to start over on my account. BIG pain with the slow dial-up1

Anyway, I have laughed so much reading the blog and comments today! Very healthy exchange. I have my own stories, which the girls have heard as nauseum, of course!

I was appraoched by a total STRANGER in a Burleson grocery store when my Clay was about four months old. she told me my milk must not be good as my baby was not healthy. (I have never cared for Burleson since that day!)

See you in six sleeps!

Brigs said...

Not an expert on the size and weight issue but you know unexpected explanations can be helpful. Some well meaning goody two shoes comes along and spouts their shock; awe them with the response of: "Well the doctor did tell us that we needed to let him sleep in a bigger drawer."
Even if you don't ever use that one, just think of the look on their face if you did. It always gives me a chuckle to play with the socially challenged.
Another idea is tell him that he is only 9 months old, teach him to say words or phrases that no one under the age of four should know like "phyics, cumulus clouds or epidermus." This usually causes enough mental hiccups to send these delitants running back home to see if their darlings know these words. Life is just full of opportunities to have fun. Besides you will be teaching a valuable skill to Clay, humor is a great way to deflect attention away from a ticklish situation.

The Bells said...

Ohh our little buddy is growing up so fast! We can't wait to see you soon! Love, The Bells

The Schmidt Family said...

Can't wait for you to be back in the states! We'll be up in d.c. in July - let's get together!