Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Scarlett Lee











Scarlett Lee Kennedy

July 4, 2009
7 lbs 9 oz, 19 1/2 inches


After months of not blogging and a week and a half of making everyone wait to see our new baby girl...here she is! Scarlett made quite an entrance into our family...(of course, I have to tell you the story....)
On the 3rd, I went into the doctor to check my blood pressure because it had been high earlier in the week. It was a little high and the doctor left it up to me...he wanted to induce and I agreed. Once you are full term, you are thinking, I just want to have this baby! So, we showed up at the hospital a few hours later and started the pitocin (sp?). It took quite some time for contractions to start and I was a little bit bummed when the contractions were getting quite hard around midnight and there was still not a lot of progress! I really wanted to have a natural labor...but I knew from previous experience that it would be wise to get an epidural (my first one!) and have enough energy to deliver later...I knew this was going to be a long one! A few hours later I started shaking all over and apparently was progressing really quickly. It was crazy...then the nurses and residents came in and started making me change positions really quickly and all of the sudden they started ripping cords out of the wall and saying "CODE BLUE" and pushed a button and lights started flashing and then we were running down the hallway! We were in the OR in a few seconds and they said they thought the cord was around her neck and gave me the option of waiting or having a c-section...hmmmm...let me think about that...pretty much a no brainer. In a matter of minutes I was ready to go (Praise God for the earlier epidural which made the anesthesia take much quicker!). Scarlett was born perfectly healthy with a strong cry a little while later. Clif and I were in shock but so thankful that she was ok. Then, we got to spend 3 days in the hospital. It was super relaxing...I actually kind of enjoyed it. We've been home about a week and honestly, my doctor must be one great stitcher-upper because I have been relatively pain free. I just keep forgetting to not pick up Evy. We are all in love with our new little one, the kids love to kiss and hold her and I am enjoying the sleepy stage. I don't want her to "wake-up" in a few weeks like our other two did and start screaming! We are so happy to have her finally here and have been blessed with our Moms, Mam and Tutu, taking care of us and our Church family has been great, as well. I will really try to get a more steady stream of photos for you to look at!

18 comments:

Anne said...

Yay!!! So happy for you all and so glad that you have a healthy little girl. :-)

Ashley said...

YIPEE! Much to my surprise and delight I am thankful you posted! My day was made brighter just by checking the blog this morning. She is beautiful and Clay and Evy are going to be great big siblings. Take care of yourself!
Auntie Ash

kristi said...

Another beautiful Kennedy baby and how fitting that she was born on the 4th of July. I am sure Celia is writing her a patriotic song. Congratulations and God's blessings.

Lisa said...

Hey Kat! Congratulations on another beautiful baby. Praying for an uneventful recovery for you and a great transition for C&E. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Erica said...

Okay - I am a little bit of a blog stalker and I have been sad to not see a post in forever. I just happened to check today and let me say Congratulations! She is beautiful and I don't think she could have been born on a more appropriate day! I love her name and I can't wait to see more pictures of your whole bunch!

Amanda said...

She is adorable! Congratulations! What a sweet family you have.

The Ritz Family said...

congrats! what a cute family!

Ben and Lola said...

Precious! Evy is getting soooo big! You really need to post more pictures as they grow! :-) Glad everything is going well!

Malia said...

Congratulations. She is beautiful just like the rest of them! We miss you all.

Haegelin Family said...

kat, oh my goodness!!! i just got on your blog today on a whim, expecting to see the pic of you and clif all dressed up... and lo and behold, here is scarlett! she is gorgeous, as all of your children have been - you guys make some good-looking babies. love the name, love the birthday. i hope you are doing well and i cannot wait to meet your newest family member. much love to all FIVE of you! :)

ginny said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful addition to your family.

My life with 4 Daughters and Preacher said...

She is beautiful! I am so glad that you and Scarlett are doing well. Congratulatiosn!

Unknown said...

umm...so i just randomly check sometimes to see if there is a new post and hooray! congrats! scarlett is beautiful! glad to hear you are doing well. clay and evs are precious too. love you!

TeamRB said...

What a beautiful girl and a beautiful family. As always, I loved the sweet pictures. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Congratulations to you all!

Andi said...

Katty Ann, I love your new little "firecracker"! She is beautiful. All my love to all five Capitol Kennedys!

KatieKate said...

CODE BLUE??? What the heck! SOOO glad y'all are ok :) We had a similar (minus the code blue) story with the induction and c-section... they kept trying to convince me it was fine and I was like, "Seriously, people. I don't care. Let's go! Surgery! I'm in!"

Welcome to the world, Scarlett! You are well loved!

Little House in Grand Prairie said...

SLK reminds me of baby Josie...interesting. She is beautiful and I am longing to hold her. My Clay-boy and Evy Lou are looking so OLD! Aaahh....please move back soon.

The Schmidt Family said...

She's beautiful Kat! Glad you're back!