Friday, February 16, 2007

You know you live in Hawaii if...

-you are wearing a sweater & it's 75 degrees outside
-you have a "tiny" bug problem & your house is still immaculate (yes people...we live in a beautiful place but there are roaches, ants and centipedes like you wouldn't believe...more on that later)
-you think you see squirrels but remember "Oh yeah, there are no squirrels here...that was a mongoose!"
-your mood depends on the frequency of the trades (trade winds that is...for you folks that don't live here)
-you have to wash your car frequently to avoid rust
-you hammer a nail in the wall to hang a picture and it comes out the other side of the wall
-you take your shoes off in everyone's home
-driving "all the way across the island" (25 miles) is an exhausting trip
-shave ice is a treat
-you look forward to rainy cloudy days b/c the weather is just too perfect sometimes
-palm trees might fall through your roof in a wind storm
-there is a "Tidal Wave Safety Area" sign...just about 20 feet up from your house....(hope there's not a tidal wave...I'm not in the safety area!)
-You may see "LOST" stars in town
-there are NO TARGET stores *sniff, sniff*
-any person with central air (there are very few homes like this) seems like a person who has an amazing home. we are lucky with 3 window units
-lofts rent for $1000/ month...and a 3 bedroom house...$2000-$3000...with no AC!
-and I have saved my latest saga for last....you walk out to your truck one night after you've been away for 7 weeks...and when you open the door...you see 5 little roaches on the car seat...upon further investigation...there is a whole roach community in your truck....not the huge roaches...just little ones, but still...this story makes me get the heevie jeevies! Anyway - there are generations of roaches...that would have never been found during the day! So...you set off a bomb that is clearly not for such a small space...but sometimes situations call for drastic measures...The next day you find about....30-40 little roach bodies...there was never evidence of ONE of them during the day. Isn't that gross. There is not a cheerio, raisin...or speck of food in that truck for fear of bugs...even in a foodless environment...they moved right on in...but now they are dead. yea.

**I'm sorry for the lack of blogging...lately it seems like my life is the movie Groundhog Day. Everyday is the same & not too much to take photos of...although I do live with the funniest 16 month old in the world...if you think your kid is funnier...he's probably not...although he probably has a much nicer personality and does not throw fits like my funny boy. So, unless he becomes a world famous comedian...I think I'd like to lessen the comedy & create a sweeter boy...but, this is who is...for now. So, in just a few short weeks, probably next month...I will live with my husband again and there will be more to take pictures of. I was adding it up the other day...we will have been married for 39 months when Clif gets home...and together for about 9 or 10 of them. no joke. So...this will be the end of our deployment time for awhile at least & I'm just feeling tired maybe? Whatever the case...I'm ready to get excited about blogging & pictures again, as I'm sure you are as well if you are reading this. Maybe I'll get inspired this weekend...

3 comments:

Anne said...

-palm trees might fall through your roof in a wind storm

Yes, they might! ;-)

-there is a "Tidal Wave Safety Area" sign...just about 20 feet up from your house....(hope there's not a tidal wave...I'm not in the safety area!)

This one cracks me up because we have one of those signs across the street from our house. Not at all comforting!

Great list! I feel like I haven't seen you in ages. Hope to see you Sunday, if not before.

Amanda said...

Kat, the story about the little roaches in your truck is so disturbing! Ooh, it made me shiver! I know you will be glad to get your man home. You are an excellent wife and mom. You have some big ole crowns coming your way one day.

Ashley S. said...

You are a great blogger. Don't get down on yourself. :) I'm gonna start checking back here more often. Your pictures are great and so are your stories. So... about LOST... do you live near where they shoot? HAVE you ever seen any of them? That'd be great. It's my favorite show. So enough of that. Talk to you soon, I hope! Perhaps e-mail? ashleyeh@excite.com would be the place to do it!
Ashley (Hartman)