When I was in the second grade it was awesome when we had a substitute teacher...not because we could take advantage of her, but because we often times were in the care of one particular substitute teacher. Her name was Ms. Martin...and she was a 9-1-1 operator. (Remember this Lauren?) This was at the time that the show "Rescue 911" was at it's peak and there was nothing better than listening to her stories. In order to hear her 911 stories we had to behave ourselves and finish our work quickly so that there would be time before it was time to change classes. (Looking back this woman was smart...) We lived in south Dallas, so there were some intense stories (some graphic enough that I cannot share them). I'm not sure how she got away with telling us the gory things that she did...I guess it was so good, that none of us would tell on her.
As a mother there are a few things that you do not want to see in front of your house...one of them is a fire truck...
Clay and I were on our great screened-in porch reading in our rocking chairs, the wind was blowing & it was raining. A perfect afternoon, if you ask me. Then, Clay jumped up and shut our back door. Our locked back door. Luckily...I am not a person who freaks out. I called Clif, who is extremely busy on Friday nights...he is usually out of contact from about 5 pm until he gets home around midnight. I called anyway, he was less than thrilled with me & went to a computer to look up a locksmith. My mind started working in the mean time...I tried to get Clay to unlock to door, no luck. Then I started thinking about the candle burning behind him & the stairs that were right around the corner. I could see two potential disasters and so I called 911. Calling 911 seems dramatic to me...it should be respected & reserved for people who have burning houses and things of that nature. But, it was my child banging on the glass door, crying "Mommyyyyyy" so I put it in the emergency category. We live really close to a station so they got here very quickly and determined that we have a really secure home. Nowhere to break in! So, one guy tried to get in with a credit card and the rest of the group prepared to break a window downstairs...thankfully credit card guy won the race and Clay was safe. I didn't realize that I was so nervous until they had gone and I thought about things that could have happened. I was glad to hug my boy again! Clay recovered quickly - we walked to the front yard and he saw that there was a fire truck in front of his house! That is about as good as it gets for Clay. So, we averted disaster...for now.
Friday, July 27, 2007
Rescue 911
Posted by Clay at 5:40 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
While it is not at all funny that your sweet boy was locked in the house (this is my biggest fear - locking my kids in the car), it is a tiny bit funny because you and Ginny are the only people I can think of that this would happen to. You really should write a book someday...soon.
Thank the Lord he was okay! My mind was racing as I heard the panic in your voice hanging up the phone. Super glad sweet Clay was okay! I loved that he talked to me on the phone. I am glad you are calm and collected b/c you know I am not that way! Remember the night you called 911 at 1407 and woke me up first! Needless to say it is a good thing I wasn't there today b/c I go in panic mode super fast! Love you!
I am glad that everything is ok, but I got stuck on the fact that you switched classes in 2nd grade? That I have never heard of.
Hey, Kat. I don't know if you remember me, Courtney Creech from Meridian. I've been reading your blog ever since I found out I was pregnant with a boy...the Hendersons directed me to your page. I wasn't sure I'd know what to do with a boy, seeing as it was all girls in my house...but your blog made everything about boys seem wonderful. Now I have a 5 1/2 month old, Clinton, and a fire truck story to match...just had to share it with you. Feel free to check it out at tennesseewilliams.blogspot.com. It's the "Moron Mommy" posting. I find your posts to be entertaining and encouraging...I hope you don't mind "a friend of a friend" reading them!
That is a fun story for the journal that you can share with Clay when he is older! Glad he was okay! Love the cute house! janie
Kat, Your house is beautiful...it looks like where a great novel would take place. The screen in porch is the best place. Looks/Sounds like everything is going great. There is no outward signs of pregoness in the July 4th pic. Can't wait to see what your baking. You know with my luck the locking your kids thing is bound to happen at any time. I have that good luck too? Hope all is well.
HAHAHA. oh my GOODNESS, i completely forgot about ms. martin. she was the best substitute teacher in the world. its amazing what we remember from growing up. :)
Post a Comment