Friday, October 12, 2007






Do you ever feel like you've got so much to do that you just can't catch up? I feel like there's so much to say here, and I just can't get it all out! In the past few weeks our family was blessed by the visit of my friend, Ashley and Tutu. It was fun (and if they would send me pictures...I would post them). Then the very next weekend, Doc & Mam drove a horse trailer full of furniture that they have been storing for us since our move to Hawaii...there were a few things from my family's home as well. Needless to say, I think both families were happy to unload & clean out our stuff from their houses!

During Doc & Mam's visit, Clayton Jack turned 2! It's hard to believe that he's already two years old...but at the same time, sections of his short life have seemed to drag on and on for me! We celebrated his birth with a trip to the local fire station & took some pictures. Then, we had dinner at a Mexican restaurant & completed the day with a slice of fire truck cake. (Clay was a little bit stressed that I was cutting the wheels off...he said, "Oh no! Wheels broke!")

At this point in Clay's life he is a joy. We have had some seriously rough times together & it is such a treat to see him so happy and content. (When I say he's content...he still has moments when I think to myself, "Who are you? Why are you walking down the sidewalk screaming?") The "terrible twos" came early for Clay...so two is actually an age that I am really enjoying! He is still making us laugh & seems to be a born entertainer. He really becomes animated when there are extra people around to entertain. During Doc & Mam's visit he had his first big audience and he had about 20 people laughing at his crazy antics. We were doing a little bit of touring and ended up at a bus stop with several other tourists at Harper's Ferry. People were sitting on benches waiting for the bus...and Clay started talking to them. He pointed to the ground and said "Rectangles." They didn't expect him to say that...so, they didn't know what he was saying...so I told them that he was trying to say rectangles. Everyone looked down and saw that there were bricks under their feet, of course shaped like rectangles. So...then, everyone started watching him. One woman asked him to find a square, he did. Then, he told them there was a circle on the ground. It wasn't just his knowledge of shapes, but his funny personality that had every person watching him & laughing. Clif & I were talking about it that night as we went to bed and as we often do...we were wondering...where in the world did his personality come from. Neither of us is particularly funny (of course we think we're funny...but we don't get in front of large groups and thrive in front of them!). He had a crowd of 20 adults completely entertained for about 15 minutes. It was crazy. One woman said, "You're his mother?!?! Is he a Republican or Democrat...and when can I vote for him for President?"

That one moment pretty much summed up Clay at this point in life. He likes shapes and likes to find them everywhere, on tiles in the bathtub, in books, just about everywhere. And he likes to make people laugh. Other than that, his loves are books, all things that go, oatmeal, waffles, his new big boy bed and most of all his blankie! He also loves to talk...alot. From the moment he wakes up until the moment he goes to sleep...he's jabbering. I love Clayton Jack & I am so thankful to be his mother.

10 comments:

Anne said...

Happy Birthday, Clay! We miss you and your mom & dad.

Kat, you made me laugh when you said you're not funny. YES, you are!!! :-)

elizalee said...

Kat, I can't help but picture (uncle) Clay entertaining the masses; maybe that's where little Clay gets it!

It's funny that the woman asked when she could vote for him because I always thought that Clay could/would be President someday. That's just the kind of person he was. I am sure y'all see glimpes of (uncle) Clay in him from time to time.

Ben and Lola said...

Kat, you and Clif will always look at each other and wonder "where did he/she get that?" Ben and I did that with Jan and Dean and as they get older, we keep finding out more and more about our children. Just enjoy them - don't try to figure them out! You'll stay saner that way! :-)

Mam said...

Clay,
We were so happy to be there at your "Harper's Ferry Show". Wish I had had a movie camera rolling! The lady who asked about your party affiliation also asked your name. When I told her, she said, "Clay Kennedy. I'll remember that name." I have actually heard those same words before about another Clay Kennedy! You are very familiar to us here on the farm.

Doc and Mam

Malia said...

Happy Birthday Clay! I loved the pictures of you in your fireman outfit. You are so handsome. I have hope that our little Luke can one day play dress up with his sisters and he won't have to wear a crown and necklace. It was great to see a picture of your Mom and Dad too, we just want more of a tummy shot next! :) We miss you all.
Malia

Charity said...

Hi...I just happened across your blog. Your little Clay sounds just like my Landon! He turned two a few weeks ago on Sept. 22. He also loves shapes! We drove through Burger King the other day and he said "rectangles!" He saw the bricks on the side of the building! He talks all the time too! He is just now starting the "terrible two" tantrums! Whew! He loves to sing and dance as well! We also have an entertainer on our hands! They truly are a blessing from God!

livinginthemidwest said...

Happy Birthday Clay! I can't believe you're two already. It didn't seem that long ago that we were celebrating the big 1 at your cowboy party.

I have to ditto Anne...you are funny...partly because I can usually relate, which makes it funny to me too.

Ashley said...

Trying to send the pictures, but my file is to big so I have to figure something out! Happy 2nd birthday sweet Clay Jack! I am still repeating some of his cute comments! Loved seeing your sweet home in DC! Love ya, Ashley

Aunt Sarah said...

Happy 2nd Birthday Clay!! You are such a handsome fireman! Glad to see you all are doing well! Miss you guys!!

Momathon said...

Happy Birhtday, Clay. Nice to hear how you are all doing, Kat. How is the pregnancy going?
Aloha