Sunday, September 10, 2006

Our Hero


Heroes...they come in all different packages and if you look, they are they are not too hard to find in our daily lives. I just happen to married to one of these such heroes. He is humble, brave, & has a presence about him that commands your attention. He gives away his time with his family & the comforts of home, to live in places that you & I would be very uncomfortable. All of this he does with just a little bit of grumbling, but with a sense of purpose & pride. Our nation should be thankful & proud that families all over our country say these tearful goodbyes so often to preserve the ideals that we call our own. My heart is heavy as I write, this is our last night for 7 months as a complete family. The next time that we are together our son will be 7 months older & many memories will have come & gone ~ a first birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, a wedding anniversary, our birthdays, first steps, first words...and many more...
But, that is why I am so grateful not only for my hero, but the many men & women that are serving across the world, they are all missing out on these moments & doing it because they volunteer their lives. What a blessing we have in our nation. It is fitting that he leave on the night of September 11...it is the day that started this whole war. In a letter to Clif, I wrote that I hope our grandchildren live in a world in which the people of Iraq & Afghanistan live free from the terror they have endured for so long. Of course, there will be other wars then, but I hope that our future sees the fruit of this sacrifice.
The night that Clif left for Afghanistan was really difficult for me...I knew that the next time I saw Clif we would have a son & our lives would change forever...but we would be apart the moment that they changed. Now, that Clif has left for Iraq, I am not as hopeless as I was last time. I know that our family has been covered in prayer the last few days...I could feel God comforting us despite the difficult situation.
I am proud of my best friend & husband. He is a special man & I am so grateful for the time that we had together over the last eight months. Please continue to pray for his safety in Iraq. We hope that the next 7 months fly by & our family can have yet another happy reunion!

6 comments:

Anne said...

Well, that sure made me cry! He is a hero, and so are you, Kat. I've been thinking about y'all a lot lately, and my heart is heavy for you because I can relate to what you're going through. Know 2 things: First of all, God is good! He has all 3 of you in His hands. And, second, we're just around the corner should you need anything at all!

livinginthemidwest said...

I am praying for you all. I am so grateful for the men and women and their families that make these sacrifices. I am thankful for a God that is in control of all things and that he is a God of comfort. I pray that he will continue to be your strength and comfort.

Amanda said...

Sweet Kat,
I have the biggest lump in my throat. God bless your precious family while you're apart. I echo what Anne said. All three of you are heroes. What an example of a living sacrifice.

ginny said...

Wow Kat, how I understand many of those same feelings and have thought many of those same words. Our family is praying for all who are serving and their families, but specifically yours. We appreciate the sacrifices you, Clif, and Clay make. I wish you'd email me when you get a chance - ginnyparker@nc.rr.com
Keep busy!
Love,
Ginny

Jan said...

i am very thankful for the men and women who sacrifice daily for a war that has caused such conflict in the world. regardless of why and how long our troops are there, i sleep peacefully every night knowing someone is fighting for the freedom of our country, as well as other country's. i can't imagine the difficulty of your separation but i admire you for your deep respect and understanding for what Clif is doing. you are surely covered in so much prayer, nothing can get through!

The Schmidt Family said...

What servants you both are! We are so thankful for Clif's contributions and servanthood for our country and others. God's hand is over you both. Love you.