Friday, September 14, 2007

WHAT?!?!

It's 6:01...AM! What in the world. I usually sleep in as late as possible (which seems like the obvious choice to me) but Clif left early this morning. That's not too strange, but it is very odd that I couldn't fall back asleep after he left! (But, don't worry...I tried for a long time...with no success.)
Last week, there was a burglary early in the morning fairly close to our home. I just couldn't get that out of my head, so here I am, blogging. I am annoyed with this man because our neighborhood has a very safe feel to it & now that's a bit shaken. So...as I was still tucked in the covers...comfy in our bed this morning...I was thinking about how silly it is to be afraid. It is a feeling that creeps slowly into our brains and comes in so many forms. Parents are often fearful of their children's safety, some are fearful of financial security...it just is amazing how fear is silent & gripping. So, this morning, I decided that I would not let fear get the best of me. The Bible is so clear on what it is that we should fear. In the Old Testament over and over again, the Israelites are told to fear the Lord. Which has got me thinking...why do I fear these silly things and forget that the One True God has commanded us to fear Him alone? This morning, I am thinking about David...he obviously knew fear...a great king, reduced to fearing his enemies. I think one Psalm captures what I am trying to feel this morning..."The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1
I am not so naive to believe that God will always "save" me from my fears. I know that we live in a world that is fallen, we are born sinners & bad things are going to happen during this life. No one is safe from them, despite our human attempts to appease God & bargain with Him! (We are silly people!) But, I do know that no matter what happens on this earth, what bad things may come...God has won the ultimate battle. In the end, He will come & defeat evil. So, while I'm here...I accept that I will come into contact with evil...but I am reminding myself that I should not be afraid..."the LORD is the stronghold of my life..."

3 comments:

Malia said...

Kat, I'm right there with you. Beau is gone for the rest of the month and our "safe, new neighborhood" just had a break-in two weeks ago too. I am finally reading When People are Big and God is small by Edward Welch. It talks about that very thing. We fear so much on this earth and somehow we loose sight of fearing God. God has already met our one and only need. He is so good.

Anne said...

Psalm 56:3-4 is something I've memorized for just those times.

When I am afraid,
I put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I shall not be afraid.
What can flesh do to me?


It's so easy to listen to ourselves when we're fearful. Good for you for preaching to yourself!

Anonymous said...

When I am alone and that "fear" thing creeps in I start praying and I usually fall asleep in "His" arms! He is so amazing! janie