Friday, June 06, 2008

Stalked by storms

Weather stalks me. Or maybe it's just natural disasters that stalk me. I'm not sure. Anyway...for the past few days I've been trying to figure out when I went crazy about weather & I cannot remember. It's seems to me that I've always been this way. Before moving to C-town in jr. high, we lived in Lancaster, Texas. Lancaster is located south of Dallas...which happens to be a weather magnet. A few times a year, we would have to get in the hallway at school, with our heads down because of tornado warnings. I remember the green, scary skies over our house quite often and I would run to the bathroom (with a load of pillows and games) and hang out until the storm had passed. In 1993, my family moved to Clifton, I was in 7th grade and not particularly happy about the move...in the spring of that school year, an F4 tornado hit Lancaster and literally leveled the town. (I narrowly escaped that one!). I would say seeing the damage that the tornado did added to my fear! So fast forward a few years...I won't document every storm that scared me! Let's see in the past 4 years--- I was in one earthquake in Hawaii...and an earthquake a few months ago in Virginia! On my birthday a few years ago in Texas there were 19 tornadoes...in December! So the whole point of this story is that on Wednesday, I sat down to feed Evs, turned on the tv and saw weather warnings flashing on the screen. I fed Evy and started thinking...where is the flashlight? Should I wake up Clay? What are you supposed to have in a storm? So, I finished feeding Evy. I ran outside to look at the sky...it seemed ok. I put Evs down and gathered everything I would need in case of an emergency (see how irrationally my mind works...) - wipes, diapers, change of clothes for the kids, cup of milk for Clay, snacks for Clay, 1 (yeah, 1...) bottle of water for me, and prunes?!? Then, I looked outside again...a little bit more ominous. I decided to put Evs in the basement in the office...it doesn't have any windows. (Keep in mind...I'm nervous and a running around doing all of this.) I put her down and ran upstairs to get Clay. The power went out. I grabbed Clay and quickly moved to the top of the stairs to go into the basement. We have a huge window in the dining room at the top of the stairs...I remember looking out that window...it was so dark outside & the trees were blowing like crazy. I ran downstairs and we sat in the pitch black with a flashlight and a candle. We read books and I kept getting up to look outside. It was wild out there. After 30 minutes or so, everything was calm again and we went out to look at the damage. Fortunately our house was spared any tree damage...but all around us HUGE trees were down. Some fell on houses, some on power lines, a woman in her car was killed by a falling tree. The reports say a tornado was spotted right around where we live. I believe it judging by the trees that it took down. We were out of power for the rest of Wednesday and almost all of Wednesday. The power company said we wouldn't get power until Saturday night...but thankfully late of Thursday it came back on. We were sitting out on the front steps and we heard people all around the neighborhood cheering...it was pretty funny. So...if you are with me during a storm sometime...don't laugh. I'm damaged...I know. And I know I'm crazy...I think the first step is admitting that you have a problem. And I've decided...I need a natural disaster emergency kit. No one ask me what I want for Christmas...I just told you. :)

7 comments:

Little House in Grand Prairie said...

Storm kit - got it.
This is yet another reason why you and "WeatherMam" are such good friends.
Just please don't turn into a storm chaser.

Anonymous said...

prunes huh? haha. you make me laugh. and yes, that tornado in 94 was horrible. mom and i were in the laundry room since that was the only room in the house with no windows and i fell asleep. i just remember the metal shelves in our garage rattling b/c our house was shaking so bad.

we had some pretty serious tornados recently and my next door neighbors are from indiana so i got a pretty freaked out phone call at 4 a.m. where was i? sleeping thru it.

Amanda said...

That's freaky, Kat. I'm glad y'all were okay and that your house wasn't damaged.

Ashley said...

My fear from weather has to do with alot of your weather experiences, most recent when I was on the interstate in Nashville and had tons of hail damage! I hate bad weather, glad you are all okay and Lord please let me come to visit on pretty weather days! Give the little ones a hug! Miss you!

TeamRB said...

Hello!
I have been meaning to get a hold of you and keep putting it off (you know how things go) anyways, Riley and I are going to be in VA next week and I wanted to see if maybe we could see you. Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance please and maybe we can work something out. rebekahbergren@letu.edu
Hope to hear from you soon!
Rebekah

Ashley said...

Love the NEW background! My colors for sure! Miss ya and the kiddos!

Malia said...

Kat,Thanks for encouraging me to start blogging! I just switched it to "private", if you want to be invited, I just need your e-mail address. powersohana@yahoo.com We miss you all! Malia