Thursday, November 16, 2006



I was wondering...what's the oldest a kid has ever been without walking? No...I'm kidding. I know he's completely in the normal range...but, my son who loves to move does not have the confidence in himself that I thought he did! He has cracked me up this week as he slowly realizes that he CAN stand up alone, but then decides it's scary & plops himself down. A few months ago I gave him a deadline...he needed to walk by the time that we flew home in December (last time he wanted to crawl on the floor of the airplane and that's well...gross) that date is looming & Clay-Jack is not cooperating. Oh well...for the second trip in a row... I will have the crying kid on the plane...whatever. I still like him.
Other than being the oldest crawler in history (I'm kidding) we have had a great week. Yesterday we spent the afternoon at our favorite beach (it's amazing & only 10 minutes from our house) & although my independent child is getting a little clingy, I've enjoyed the cuddling that we've shared. I think if you don't have a husband around to hug you...your child should be a hugger...which Clay has not been, until this week. We also had a wonderful baby shower for my walking buddy, Gretta this weekend. Her husband is deployed with Clif and she is due mid-December. Their son will be 3 months old when he meets his dad (which was exactly how old Clay was!) so their story is eerily similar to ours. We are praying for an easy delivery & safety for Gretta's husband, Nick, in the coming months! In other baby news Princess Ellie...was born this week. She came a little early, but is looking precious. We are praying for the her family as they get to know their new little girl! (Another situation that I can identify with...Laci was induced due to preeclampsia
...that darn thing is annoying when you are pregnant!)
So. We are good. Not too much going on...just lazy days of pjs and realizing that there is nothing for dinner...right as dinner time rolls around. (Why am I not a planner?) Hawaii has been beautiful this week & I have been constantly reminded of God's grace and providence. We are about 10 weeks into this deployment & we are looking forward to getting through December & being on the downhill. I guess there has been enough randomness for one post...we'll be back soon!

8 comments:

livinginthemidwest said...

I love the stripes...I think it makes him look taller. :o)
It's funny because you will probably look back 6 months from now and forget what it was like to not have him walking. I'm pretty sure he'll make the December deadline...but I'm not sure that walking will help the crying on the airplane. :(
Clay you are a cutie.

ginny said...

Libby took her time to walk...she was almost 14 months. She could get just about anything she wanted by crawling. I guess she just didn't see the need to walk. Maybe he's waiting till December so it can be your Christmas present :)

Clay said...

Just to clarify...I don't really care when he walks...not really...but, I am tired of people asking if he can. :) Clif says that Clay is waiting until he gets home to walk...that would be 18 months...we'll see!
Erin--probably won't help with the crying, you're right. :(
--Kat

Anonymous said...

I think it time to give this kid a target date for getting off all fours. If he is not walking by the night of his senior prom, let him know he will not get use to the family auto.

Clay said...

here! here! well put grandad...

Little House in Grand Prairie said...

His verbal ability is so amazing that you don't really notice that he isn't walking. For instance, for all you readers, he very clearly looked at me and said "Cara." Genius, I say.

Anne said...

PalmBoy was 13 months when he started walking, and PalmGirl was 14 months. My mother-in-law says the PalmPilot and his twin were 18 months when they started walking (she was probably praying that it was even longer!).

When he's 14 and mowing your lawn, you'll totally forget what it was like to wonder when he'd walk! ;-)

Amanda said...

What cute p.j.s! Let me know when you're flying home and I will seriously pray for you.