Thursday, November 23, 2006


Thankfulness


Today, I am wondering why our whole country is willing to list reasons that they are thankful...but only half of the country is willing to profess that it is to The Sovereign God that they are thankful. Because, this Thanksgiving (which is much like my last one!) is very different than the others of my life, I have had much time to reflect on this special day. (The reason this is different is because my family is in Texas/Iraq & I am in Hawaii!) Anyway, I feel that the traditional Thanksgiving story has been ingrained into my brain, but I have not really ever given thought to President Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation. Personally, I am thankful for the many great men who have molded our nation into what it is today...they wrote the basis for our laws, they created a vision for our government & set apart days that we needed to honor and reflect upon. (Of course, they did many other things as well!) In his Proclamation he says that the year had been filled with "blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies" and he reminded others that when thinking about these things which were so constantly enjoyed that they tended "to forget the source from which they came." This Thanksgiving, I am meditating on the source which has provided my bounty...I pray that you will as well!

Giving Thanks for---

1) A merciful Savior

2) A sweet husband in Clif, & our boy - Clay

3) The relationships that I share with both of our families...they are good & rare

4) Beautiful Hawaiian weather...I promise I am not bragging...but this past week has been incredible!

5) on a lighter note -- the many forms in which I can find caffeine --

1) Dr. Pepper 2) Tea 3) my new-found friend as of two weeks ago COFFEE

6) good naps (both for Clay and me!)

7) Texas country roads...well, Texas in general

8) good memories with Clif - they get me through tough days without him

9) our home - it's old, it has lead paint & there are bugs b/c no one can avoid bugs in Hawaii - but, it's home & I've come to love it...kind of (I really am thankful for it)

10) sweet friends that God has provided - whether they were found in 7th grade, college or in recent years I am truly blessed in this department

11) good books -- (Anne...I'm going to try reading all of those unread books in my stacks...we'll see...)

12) in a few hours I will be thankful for Erin's cooking

13) lots more - both shallow & deep things - He has truly blessed me beyond measure. I am Thankful.

1 comments:

Anne said...

The PalmFamily is thankful to know you and your family! And we're thankful for Clif and the men & women like him who are serving our nation in a faraway and dangerous place.