Saturday, November 25, 2006

If You Play With Fire...

...you're going to get burned!
OK--I am a military wife, more specifically, a Marine wife. When you compare me to any other woman...I should be the one who can take care of herself under any circumstance! Well....I've moved across the Pacific Ocean alone, I've been pregnant alone, & had a baby while my husband was in a combat zone, I've caught a mouse alone...but tonight was the last straw. Many nights I have lit our propane grill just fine...but tonight, there was something different in the air (I think it was trapped gas) because as I lit the grill to cook my pork loin...a whooshing sound hit my face & my face felt like it was on fire...oh wait, my face was on fire. My handy-dandy neighbor says that the gas was trapped because there is no wind blowing tonight...whatever the case may be, I felt fire on my face and it did not feel good. So...I turned down the gas & got Clay from the middle of the yard and tried to think clearly. I went to look in the mirror at the damage I had done, luckily there was none (if you think that crispy hair, eyebrows and eyelashes are not damaged). But, as time passed, I could feel more stinging and started to freak out...so, I called people that I knew and no one was home. Luckily, some dear friends saw that I had called and immediately called back. They came over right away and snatched Clay and I up & took us home with them to share in their Sabbath meal...a family tradition that the Kennedys will be copying...then they played with Clay. The entire time we were there I was holding ice packs to my nose. It felt like it was still on fire. Finally we came home, put Clay to bed, then held the ice pack on for a few more hours. It's been 7 hours since the burning took place & my face is feeling more normal. So...chalk this one up --- 1) I fall into creeks hours before weddings in my bridesmaid dress, 2) I fall on busy sidewalks 1 week before my babies are due, 3) I once caught my hair on fire while blow-drying it, 4) AND I have officially burnt my face....(there are many more stories...accidents follow me)
Don't worry friends who cannot see me...I am vain, I guess, and therefore I am glad that there is just a tiny blister on the outside of my nose...most of the damage was done INSIDE of my nose...yes, it was more painful, but the good news is, people cannot see it! So, dear friends, this is reason #858 that I do not like deployments, if Clif were here...he would have been lighting that grill & Clif is not accident prone, so nothing would have happened to him! This also follows the theory that these things only happen when husbands are gone...could someone please explain that to me? And if you comment - you are required to leave a short version of a story that happened to you, in which you felt very silly afterwards ---- please it will make the burned girl feel better!

8 comments:

Planning Committee said...

Dear "burned girl,"
What can I say...like mother like daughter? You were destined to follow in my footsteps...1) your grandmother nearly fell out of the car while pregnant with me..the car was moving, 2) walked in front of Aunt Barbara swinging and the swing hit me in the eye...3 stitches, 3) split my head open at church leaning back in a chair at 4..more stitches, 4) not an accident, but I had an emergency appendectomy at 5, 5) broke my arm while rollerskating at 7, 6) popped the inside ball of a golf ball open and liquid rubber embedded in my eyes at about 8, 7)dropped a 10 gallon milk can full of lemonade on my foot and split it open at 9...more stitches, 8) fractured my back at college while sledding on the back of a car hood at a construction site and dropped about 10 feet off the edge, 9) cut my finger nearly off while cutting up fish at about 27, and 10 & 11) 3 surgeries in 2 years...both knees and gall bladder removed in my 50's...So, I'm thinking there is more to come, "burned girl." You are one tough girl and I'm just glad this accident was not worse. When I get these calls from you, though, I just fear what's happened next. Love, Mom

livinginthemidwest said...

I am glad that it wasn't any worse than it was too. I've told you about my fears with natural gas. Hopefully there won't be a next time but please feel free to call me again...and hopfully that time I will answer. :o)

I guess my stories are a lot of tripping or dare-devil stories with none to minimal injuries...most times just my hurt pride. I've fallen off of front porches into bushes (of a boy that I had a crush on), being clothes-lined by a dog leash...while running at full speed, falling off a rock while hiking with Jason...right after we got engaged, falling off the bunkbed head first...still surprised that that didn't do more damage, falling on ice many times during winter seasons and doing a flying leap and somersault on roller skates while walking my dog...I thought it would be fun to be pulled by my dog while walking him...which worked until he saw his friend behind the fence and decided to race toward him. So thankfully I've never had to get stitches due to an injury...oh yeah I did have one broken bone when I was about 7 months old because the babysitter dropped me. But thankfully I don't remember that. :o)

So I guess that was more than one story but just wanted to help you feel better.

Jan said...

definitely glad you are "okay" but burning the inside of your nose. OUCH!!! Lets see. I heated a greased pan on too high heat and it went up in flames and idiot me tried to put it out with water - its a wonder I didn't scorch the ceiling or my face! I once started to fill a sink to soak some delicates, walked away to do something, forgot about the running water and didn't remember it until my bathroom and hallway were flooded - the running dishwasher had disguised the sound of running water. And of course the best one is not getting completely into a truck to get it started and then falling out of it when it started to roll backwards in gear - basically I managed to run myself over with a truck. and lived to tell the story :-)

Amanda said...

Kat, that's awful! Here are mine. I am very prone to tripping. Some of my tripping episodes include having my arm stepped on by the pony I was walking on a lead rope, tripping on a sidewalk in downtown Chicago, tripping in Cancun in front of a busload of tourists, tripping down the stairs when my high heel got caught in the cuff of my trousers. And my favorite of all time…tripping in a skirt on a windy day in New York City as I was getting out of a cab. It was right in front of the church I would be visiting and in front of all the people congregated outside it. And before I was even upright I tripped again. The whole crowd saw my undies twice. When I was 17 I had a mustang convertible and one day I was driving home from the mall in it, thinking my friend and I were really cute with the top down. I saw a girl from school driving and I remember having a really ugly thought about her. Then to humble me, the Lord immediately allowed all the gasoline to pour out all over the road and I had to be towed. How did you catch your hair on fire with the hair dryer? I imagine that happening all the time.

Clay said...

haaaaa haaaaa....isn't it nice to come together as women & dicuss our lack of grace? well...thank you all for the comments so far...keep 'em comin'!
tutu- some of those stories were new to me
erin- that's scary that the babysitter dropped you!
jana- your running water story definitely made me laugh
amanda- i am laughing thinking about you in new york. why did we not spend more time together at a&m? we could have tripped all over the place together.
ash- you are nutty & clumsy...but, that's part of your charm. :)

Unknown said...

Kat, Kat, Kat. I think about you all the time, and now I know why! I should be praying for your safety instead of just thinking about you. :) Well, I think I'll make a list for diva weekend, but the best one that comes to mind is falling off my bike junior year on the quad in the middle of formation - literally in the middle of an outfit. There was blood running down my leg and into my shoe, but of course I told everyone I was fine while I walked off with a bent up bike followed by roars of laughter. I'm pretty sure I heard once that this kind of stuff builds character, but I'm still not buying it.

Clay said...

Thanks Sarah-- I always knew we were alike in many, many ways...

Lisa-- I cannot imagine how mortified you were...when Clif was guidon (I was a freshman) and his juniors convinced me to walk THROUGH formation instead of going around...having the entire corps' eyes on you is not a good thing...especially when your boyfriend has one set of those eyes...he was not impressed. :)

Anne said...

Kat, I thought of you when I read this in the Honolulu Advertiser today.

I've done several clumsy, stupid things before, but the big one was standing on a table in my son's room to hang curtains (6 years ago). My mom was helping and suggested I get a ladder but I told her I didn't need one. Of course, I fell. I broke my tib/fib and had to have a titanium rod put in my leg. Was in the hospital for 2 days and laid up much longer than that. :-(