


I often explain to people that I am an introvert stuck in an extrovert's body. By this I mean, that if you were to judge me on a first impression...you would think that I am a person who loves to be with other people...and in reality, I would rather be in my house, alone, reading or doing a single-person activity. (I do enjoy the company of others...it's just I am most content when I am by myself.) Lately, I have been noticing some very similar traits in Clay. He is a charmer in public & loves to make others smile...but, when we are at home, he crawls down the hall to his bedroom and finds books to read, boxes to empty & toys to play with. Today he played for about an hour by himself...a few times he came to see what I was doing, then turned his little body around to play by himself again. I appreciate this quality in him. I think it is a good thing to be content when you are alone & to be able to make yourself happy. As his mother, I hope to nurture this quality, but still to create an environment in which he values time with others. My only question is...why did he play by himself for such a long time today, but as soon as I started dinner he pulled on my pants and cried until I would pick him up? So, I have two mysteries this week....1) Why do bad things happen when husbands/daddy's are away? 2) Why do children get lonely & impatient when their mother's are cooking dinner? Any ideas?
Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Stuck
Posted by Clay at 12:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What can I say...like father like daughter? In reference to your writing, you wrote ("...it is a good thing to be content when you are alone & to be able to make yourself happy" and "...rather be in my house, alone, reading or doing a single-person activity.") Who does that describe? So, actually, you are like your dad in that respect.
To answer your second mystery ~ I think little ones just "know" when the accessibility for nurturing is not available...just as a mom, you "know" when something is wrong with your little ones.
Have a wonderful day and I can't wait until we see y'all. Mom
I think there is a signal that only children can hear. Whenever moms are unavailable (cooking, on the phone, trying to use the bathroom) the signal goes out and they are alerted to run to you for immediate attention! ;-)
Post a Comment