Texas Independence Day--
Early March 1836, a group of delegates met in the town of Washington (now known as Washington-on-the-Brazos) to declare independence from Mexico. I'll try not to go into a long history lesson, although Texas history is interesting, but I will say that our family holds this day in our hearts as a special day to remember our past. While the delegates were meeting, the siege of the Alamo was taking place & 4 days after the declaration was drafted, the Alamo fell & all of those inside were killed by Santa Anna's army, including Davy Crockett...Clif's fifth-great Uncle. There was chaos all over the state as the Mexican army won a series of battles...it was not until April 21, when Gen. Sam Houston's army defeated Santa Anna that Texas began it's almost 10 year life as an independent nation. I believe that this small time frame of 10 years has had an impact on all Texans for a variety of reason, but in the words of John Steinbeck, "Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word." OK, OK...I'm not OBSESSED with Texas...but I do believe that it is a state of mind, and of course, I love it. Most Texans have something that can only be compared to national pride, which stems from these 10 years in which we were a nation. Of course, historically this independence has rippled through time & The United States & Mexico would both be very different had it not happened.
Now maybe this day holds significance because both Clif & I have a direct connection with the Texas Revolution. As I mentioned before, Clif is related to Davy Crockett & yes, Clay already has a coon-skin cap! Uncle Davy was killed in the Alamo...I'm going to say that Clay gets his precociousness from him- he apparently was quite the entertainer. And my fifth-great-grandfather was Col. Thomas William Ward...what? You've never heard of him...I'm shocked! OK- since you are begging me, I'll tell you a little bit about my grand-pappy...
He was born in Dublin Ireland and immigrated to Quebec (Canada, yuck!) in 1828. Then, he made his way to New Orleans where he studied engineering and architecture. In 1836, Ward helped organize the New Orleans Greys & answered the call for volunteers to help the Texians in their war with Mexico. In the siege of Bexar, he lost his leg...a cannonball shot it off...gross, huh? Well, after that...he high-tailed it back to New Orleans and was fitted with a peg-leg. From this time on he was known as "Pegleg" Ward. He left New Orleans quickly and went back to Texas...thank goodness he missed the Alamo (or I wouldn't be here!). He held a series of positions in Texas - built the first state capitol, clerk to the House of Representatives, mayor of Austin, commissioner of the Texas Land office & was the US Consul to Panama. But here's the best part...keep in mind he already lost a leg. In Texas we celebrate San Jacinto Day on April 21, the day that Houston defeated Santa Anna...on this day at a San Jacinto Day celebration, a rifle shot off his arm! So, he had one arm and one leg. Quite a colorful character.
So, Texas is important to all Texans...but our family has a direct link with the past. It is special to be able to connect with those brave men who dreamt of what Texas could be. They were fighting to separate themselves from an evil dictator (seems we'll be fighting evil men until Jesus comes back!). Texas A&M is very close to Washington-On-The-Brazos....just to let you know how big of a dork I am...Clif and I used to drive there, I think we might have had a picnic there on T-I-D. When I needed to get away, I would drive to this place, which is just a pretty spot with a park...I loved just being in the birthplace of Texas. One time Clif and I had a fight...I got really mad and said...."Well....YOU LIKE SANTA ANNA!" (the ultimate blow for a Texan)
Friday, March 02, 2007
T-I-D
Posted by Clay at 12:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so jealous of your interesting heritage! I don't know about you, but I found in the short time I lived away from Texas that it only fueled the fire of my state (national) pride.
Amen sister! I got to celebrate this Texas Independence Day in Texas for the first time in 5 years! WHOOP!!!!
Post a Comment